Some prized exhibits in the Field Museum include a large collection of dinosaur skeletons in the Evolving Planet exhibit, a comprehensive set of human cultural anthropology exhibits (with artifacts from ancient Egypt, the Pacific Northwest, the Pacific Islands, and Tibet), a large and diverse taxidermy collection (with many large animals, including two prized African elephants and the infamous
The Field Museum was incorporated in the State of Illinois on September 16, 1893 as the Columbian Museum of Chicago with its purpose the "accumulation and dissemination of knowledge, and the preservation and exhibition of artifacts illustrating art, archaeology, science and history." The museum was originally housed in the World's Columbian Exposition's Palace of Fine Arts (which is today home to the Museum of Science and Industry). In 1894, the museum's name was changed to the Field Columbian Museum and, in 1905, to the Field Museum of Natural History to honor the museum's first major benefactor, Marshall Field, and to better reflect its focus on natural history.
In 1921, the museum moved from its original location to its present site on Chicago Park District property near downtown, where it is part of the lakefront Museum Campus that includes the John G. Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Planetarium. From 1943 to 1966 the Museum was known as the Chicago Natural History Museum. In 2006, the Field Museum was the number one cultural attraction in Chicago but surrendered the title in 2007 to the adjacent Shedd Aquarium.
1400 S Lake Shore Dr Chicago, IL 60605 (312) 922-9410